The Town of Amherst offers Parking Permits to those who live or work downtown Amherst. Parking Permits can be purchased through our online system for a fee beginning in August. Streets that are marked with signs, mostly blue and white, indicate the permit parking areas.
Permit season runs from September 1st through May 31st. For the months of June, July and August, parking is allowed in designated parking permit areas (without meter) to those without permits. Parking at a metered area requires payment.
Permits for the FY24 Season (September 1, 2023 - May 31, 2024) are available: Online Permit Application
Important Parking Permit Changes
On Monday, April 4, 2022 the Town Council approved increases in pricing for the Town Center Employer/Employee, Resident and Lower Level Reserved Parking Permits.
Pricing for all permits beginning September 1, 2023:
- Resident permit with Amherst vehicle registration - $100.00
- Resident permit with non-Amherst vehicle registration - $300.00
(To learn more about updating or changing your vehicle registration visit www.mass.gov/rmv)
- Employer/Employee permit - $45.00 / $55.00 for two vehicle permit
- Lower Level Boltwood Garage Reserved Space - $1,400.00
To see if you are eligible for a Town of Amherst Parking Permit, please read our Parking Permit Rules and Regulations.
Those eligible for a Parking Permit are required to provide:
- A copy of valid Driver's License
- A copy of valid Vehicle Registration
Proof of Employment (any of the following are accepted):
- A copy of a current paycheck
- Letter from employer on employment letter head
Proof of Residency (any of the following are accepted):
- A copy of a current signed lease
- A copy of most recent tax bill
emergency parking bans
Permit users must observe the Storm Emergency Parking Ban whenever the blue light is illuminated above major intersections. Click here Version OptionsPermit ParkingHeadline for more details on Winter Parking regulations and to sign up for notifications or simply text the word Parking to 38276 for your device to be signed up for text alerts.