Jones Library Building Committee
The Jones Library Building Committee (JLBC) is a time-limited committee appointed by the Town Manager. The committee will have a total of nine (9) voting members. The Term of Appointment will be for the length of the building process, estimated at 5-7 years. The purpose of the Jones Library Building Committee is to oversee the design and construction of the Jones Library Restoration and Expansion.
|Paul Bockelman||Ex Officio, Town Manager||length of project construction|
|Christine Gray-Mullen||Resident||length of project construction|
|George Hicks-Richards||Library Bldg Maintenance Official||length of project construction|
|Alexandra Lefebvre||Jones Library Trustee||length of project construction|
|Anika Lopes||Town Councilor||length of project construction|
|Sean Mangano||Finance Director, Town of Amherst||length of project construction|
|Austin Sarat||Jones Library Trustee||length of project construction|
|Sharon Sharry||Director of the Jones Library||length of project construction|
The JLBC will guide the Jones Library Restoration and Building project. All major decisions shall be brought to the JLBC for review, approval, and formal submission to the Library Board of Trustees and Town Manager for final approval, as required.
Throughout the life of the project, the JLBC will work as a team with several consultants, including an Owner’s Project Manager (OPM), an Architect, and Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioner (MBLC) Building Specialists. The JLBC will develop a timeline, milestones, and plans for the project and recommend a specific set of plans to the Library Board of Trustees and Town Manager for approval.
The JLBC will work with the Library Director and Town Manager to ensure the public is kept informed and engaged with the Jones Library Restoration and Building project.
Broad Committee Functions:
- Understand the MBLC grant program requirements.
- Learn the history and background of the Jones Library Restoration and Expansion project.
- Identify a wide variety of stakeholders in order to develop and execute multiple communication methods to engage members of the community throughout the entire design and construction process.
- Form subcommittees at various stages of the project such as:
- Design – visits the job site, attends job site meetings, and monitors the schedule
- Interior Design – chooses styles, colors, and furnishings
- Landscaping – chooses plantings and outdoor structures
- Public Relations – keeps the community informed
- Groundbreaking/Grand Opening – organizes community celebrations
- Review, evaluate, and approve all project invoices and change orders.
- Monitor the MBLC grant application and award process, including tracking progress towards meeting milestones and securing grant payments.
- Support the closeout process with the MBLC to make sure the building is constructed in accordance with the approved design.
Timeline of Tasks:
- Schematic Design Phase
- Design Development Phase (approximately 22 weeks)
- Construction Documentation Phase (approximately 30 weeks)
- Bid Phase (approximately 14 weeks)
- Building Construction Phase (approximately 22 months)
- Project Closeout (approximately 6 months)
The JLBC shall provide quarterly updates of JLBC activities to the Town Council and Library Board of Trustees. The Town Council and Library Board of Trustees may request more frequent JLBC updates from the Town Manager and JLBC.
Adopted: July 9, 2021 (by Town Manager)